I haven’t been posting much. In fact, this is my first post of the year. I have been busy livin’ it up in Indiana. Last Saturday, for instance, B.B. and I went to the Pepsi Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds to watch the Indiana Ice play. “Who are the Indiana Ice?” you might ask. Why, they are the premier hockey team in Indiana. They are a part of the USHL (United States Hockey League) which is equivalent to the WHL (Western Hockey League) in B.C. (its Junior level hockey). Many of the teams in the USHL appear to be from the midwest. (Random note: when people talk about hockey, they always say, “ice hockey” instead of just “hockey”).
It’s been a while since I’ve been to a hockey game (I think that the last game that I went to watch was Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Redwings (Canucks won 4-0). I did notice a lot of things at the Ice game that were a little different from a traditional hockey game in Canada. Here are the highlights:
- many people wore hockey jerseys representing teams like Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins, Minnesota Wild and Detroit Redwings
- the Ice had 4 cheerleaders behind the players bench (with pom-poms)
- the mascot, appears to be a Sasquatch, looks very similar to the Colts mascot, both are fuzzy blue but the the Sasquatch has a flatter face
- the announcers rarely announce the referees calls (unless you are familiar with the hand gestures, you are kind of left guessing about the calls–it makes me think that the announcers os not all that familiar with the game).
- every once in a while, the announcer would shout, “Hockey!!!” to which the fans would shout back “Hockey!!!” (I guess that’s how Hoosiers get excited about hockey)
The night we went to watch, the Ice were playing the Youngstown Phantoms. It was a bit of a slow start to the game. In the first period, the Ice only had 3 or 4 shots on goal vs. the Phantoms who had more triple that. The Phantoms definitely seemed to be the more aggressive team, but in the end, they lost, mainly in part because the Ice goalie made a lot of saves. Honestly, I thought that the Phantoms were the better team but they lost a lot of steam by the time the 3rd period came along. In the end, the Ice were triumphant and managed to win 4-1.
Would I go to another Ice game. Yes, I think that I would. It’s one of the more exciting sports to watch live. The Ice (20-7) are definitely having a better season than the Colts (who have a record of 2-14). The next big game to hit Indiana will be the Super Bowl which is scheduled for Feb. 5. Will keep you posted.