Yesterday, B.B.’s aunt, who lives an hour away in another town, invited us over for dinner. I was driving along a two-lane state highway when I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that there was a sheriff’s car behind me. I asked B.B. what was the speed limit for the highway. He said that it was 55 mph. I was going closer to 60. I slowed down a bit and we continued along.

About 5 minutes later, I shouted, “Omigod! Did you see that?!?” About 300 yards ahead of me, I saw an SUV nosedive into the bank and flip over a couple of times until it was right-side up in the ditch. We were at the scene of the accident within seconds. B.B. told me to pump my breaks so that the sheriff behind me would take notice of the accident. We also honked the horn. I pulled ahead of the accident site and off to the side of the road. B.B. jumped out of the car and ran over to the accident scene.

There was a big cloud of dust that had risen from the impact. The SUV’s horn was blaring and did not stop the entire time we were there. The engine was steaming and small flames had erupted from beneath the front end of the car. I parked the car and went over to see if I could do something, but B.B. waved for me to get back to our car. He wasn’t sure what was going to happen with the SUV being on fire and he didn’t want me around. I don’t really know the details of what happened at the crash scene except from what B.B. later told me.

B.B. asked the sheriff if he wanted assistance and the sheriff replied that he might need some help. After the sheriff called for the ambulance, he tried to ask the woman what had happened. She was in quite a bit of shock and wasn’t able to respond properly to his questions. Normally, you don’t want to move people from the scene of an accident, but the car was on fire. B.B. calmly told the s a couple of times that the SUV was on fire and they decided to get the woman out of the car in case the fire spread. The sheriff went to his car to get a fire extinguisher and put out the flames and I saw B.B. and another good Samaritan helping the woman out of the car. She had broken her ankle and had some chest pains from the impact. Another guy helped carry a little 6 year-old boy from the vehicle. He was in quite a bit of shock and B.B. did the best he could to help keep the boy calm. He had some cuts on his face and his eye looked swollen. Fortunately, the two people in the accident were conscious and there were a lot of capable people who had stopped to assist. A doctor and a nurse happened to be driving along the same road and they stopped to help out at the scene.

Within the next 30 minutes, several police cars came to the accident site (about 4 or 5), then after what seemed like a long time, the ambulance finally arrived and so did a couple of fire trucks. It was quite the scene. The highway ended up being blocked off in both directions. A couple of the firemen walked down the street and told people that they should turn back because it was going to be a while before the road cleared up. I told the firemen that I was waiting for my husband because we were one of the first to arrive on the scene and he was helping out. B.B. said that they called in for a helicopter to come air-lift the boy to a hospital in Indianapolis. By that time, there were a lot of people around who had taken control of the situation so we didn’t feel the need to stay any longer.

It’s not clear what caused the accident, but it seems like the driver just lost control of the wheel. B.B. said that the woman, who was the boy’s aunt, told him that her nephew had said something strange earlier that day before they got on the road. The little boy had told her that he thought that they were going to get into an accident. The aunt something like, “Why would you say something like that?” The boy said that maybe they wouldn’t. It was very eerie.